Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Sweet new Burger Spot in da Mish

 
BIG KAHUNA
Urbun* Burger has just opened on Valenica.  After my first meal - I'm ready to get back there and try the rest of the menu.  This visit, I wanted to try the Breakfast Burger (Patty, Fried Egg, Applewood Smoked bacon and Fries) but I went "healthy" for the Big Kahuna.  Since I grew up in Hawaii I've had my share of great teriyaki burgers.  Most of them because of "ono" teri sauce, not necessarily a good meat patty.  This one was solid all around, nice meat - medium size - not a griddle slim patty like I-N-O and not a 1/2 pound of meat found at most "Ruby Tuesdays" esque places.  I liked that the meat fit inside the bun - didnt come bursting out of the sides.  That is important for a burger with sauce - so that the liquid (in this case extra good teri sauce) is retained.  Well grilled and sweet pineapples and if I recall a slice of tasty swiss.  Comes with a giant salad or fries - I mean these are Flintstones sized plates.  The burger was on the pricier side but its pretty easily shared with two, both people would be happy.  I mean, I'm not going to share but you could.  I shall return when they bring in the beer possibly next week.  Here's to hoping they have some variety (KONA BREWING) and value (TECATE).
Its a sit, order at the counter and wait for your food place.  Great before or after going out but not so much to linger.  I will say, they did a nice job in a small room and I particularly like the great variety of sauces available displayed pop-art style on the condiment counter.  
*Update 9/1/09:  
"Urbun" is correction.  Originally named "Urban Burger" due to trademarks the new biz had to change its name.  For the record, I have not been back to this place yet but I need to remark in pleasant retrospect that it was a juicy burger in addition to a meaty and a messy one.  I also liked the (standard) bun more than expected but since they have had to change the name to "urbun," it might be cool to offer an even variety of breads.   Currently it stands at classic bun, 9-grain bun or texas toast.  I vote for sweet roll (Portuguese), sour dough bun, and some jalapeno bread or chipotle challah - some 'spicy and unique' selection would be fitting @ Da UnBun, er Urbun.  

Neighborhood: Mission
581 Valencia St
(between 16th St & 17th St)
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 551-2483
http://www.yelp.com/biz/urbun-burger-san-francisco

1 comment:

  1. It's also a really great place to watch people eat a burger.

    ReplyDelete